Canadian Magazine Industry Guidelines
Magazines Canada endorses the Canadian Magazine Industry Code of Reader & Advertiser Engagement. Consider the guidelines when applying for membership with Magazines Canada. See our Membership Kit for details on becoming a member.
Participating in Magazines Canada member benefit campaigns are designed to help our members:
- Increase Canadian magazine brand awareness.
- Increase access and sales for Canadian periodicals.
- Create collective efficiencies in the distribution and marketing of Canadian periodicals.
See Canadian Magazines Everywhere for details.
- Newsstand Best Practices: Get the most out of your magazine's presence on the newsstand and avoid premature returns with helpful tips on Newsstand Best Practices.
- Genuine Canadian Icon: When used effectively, the Genuine Canadian Icon has significant, measurable results—magazines promoted as genuinely Canadian outperformed others by 5%. Learn more: Tips on How to Use the Genuine Canadian Icon.
- Barcode Guide: Barcode errors can be costly. Using a correct barcode will save you time, labour and, most of all, money. Read our Barcode Guide and discover proper coding techniques.
Detailed reporting is important for any successful magazine. Learn what reports to use and how to use them. Also receive a breakdown on How to Read Your Remittance Report.
Canada Post is committed to providing Canadians with outstanding delivery, logistics and communication services. Their services help reliably deliver Canadian magazines to readers as well as marketing to prospective readers and advertisers. View recent updates from Canada Post, or find targeted information on:
- Publications Mail: The Publication Mail service delivers cost-effective and reliable delivery in Canada. Start delivering your magazine to your readers now.
- Customized Postal Indicia: Brand your mail before your customer even opens the envelope by creating your own eye-catching indicia that will draw attention to your company brand, products or services, tag lines or logos. More information.
- Precision Targeter: Whether you want to reach potential new readers or advertisers, Canada Post's Precision Targeter tool will allow you to easily find your target market using geographic and demographic criteria. You can quickly identify where your potential customers live and help increase the response to your marketing efforts. Enjoy free and instant access: try it now.
- Direct Mail: Direct mail is a powerful and proven marketing medium that helps boost brand awareness. You can reach the prospects identified in your growth strategy, even if you don’t have their street addresses. Learn more on how Direct Mail enhances your entire marketing mix.
- Smart Data: Reduce your costs and increase your ROI by cleaning and updating your customer and prospect mailing lists using Canada Post's Smart Data Cleaner. A Canada Post study reveals that more than 140 million pieces of mail are either sent to incorrect recipients or inaccurate addresses annually. Get a free estimate of your potential savings and of how many of your addresses are incorrect.
- Business Reply Mail: Allow your readers to easily respond to offers, subscribe, renew their subscriptions, request information, return qualified items, pay bills and complete surveys using Business Reply Mail. Give your readers postage-paid, pre-addressed envelopes and cards while only paying for the responses that are mailed back. 53% of subscriptions to magazines by Canadians are done by mail using business reply cards, compared to 14% online and 8% by phone. Learn more tips on how to get the most out of your Business Reply Mail.
Take a look at companies offering products and services to the publishing industry in the Magazines Canada Marketplace.
Want to hear from the experts? Listen to an AudioMag, Magazines Canada's podcast series featuring new views, opinion and timely information from the industry’s best and brightest.
- Episode 1 and Episode 19 explore the circulation success story of The Economist, which has bucked industry trends in recent years as its circulation has grown steadily. Featuring Paul Rossi, North American Publisher of The Economist, and Deepak Shah, Vice President of Circulation, The Americas at The Economist, respectively.
- Episode 18 discovers what exactly entices readers to buy at the newsstand. Featuring Michele Gerrard, Owner of Atlantic News.
- Episode 34 discusses how to manage partnerships and sponsorships to increase circulation and raise brand awareness. Featuring Mary Schendlinger, Co-founder and Consulting Editor of Geist.
- Episode 35 looks at how to run a successful direct mail campaign, still one of the tried and true methods of increasing circulation. Featuring Eithne McCredie, Vice President of Abacus Circulation.
- Episode 48 talks about the techniques, tools and the realities that are necessary to create a successful circulation strategy. Featuring Michael Fox, Publisher of Garden Making.
- Episode 51 discusses strategies for managing marketing goals and expanding workloads with limited resources. Feature Amanda Beattie, Assistant Circulation Manager at Cottage Life Media.
For more circulation information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
View other Toolboxes.